Thursday, December 18, 2003

 
France Bans Religious Symbols

French President Jacques Chirac wants to push through a law banning students from wearing symbols of their religion in school by 2004. Of course, not too many religious groups are lining up behind the president. Mr Chirac believes the move is essential to preserve the seperation of church and state in french society. Many muslims see this as an attack on their faith as the ban will also include the wearing of traditional head scarves.

At first this seems extreme doesn't it. Even as an atheist I feel uncomfortable with such a ban. I don't pretend to know much about the religious reasons for wearing headscarves but to many western minded individuals, and I have to fall into this category, it represents the subjugation of women as second class citizens in mulsim society. It could very well be western sensibilities, and perhaps it's not true but I can't help but believe it anyway. I'm not for Canada's current route of multi-culturism by any means and I feel that anyone who wishes to immigrate and live in Canada should leave such baggage behind myself. Perhaps that's an extreme view too though. Regardless, I find the wearing of head scarves by muslim women uncomfortable for the reasons stated.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?