Wednesday, May 14, 2003

 
Faith Falls Out of Favour in Canada

According to the last census a growing number of Canadians no longer identify with any faith label. According to the story, 16% or approximately 4.8 million Canadians reported having no religion as released in a census report by Statistics Canada yesterday. I think the news organizations that have replayed this story this week are jumping the gun saying this means that all those people are purely secular in nature. That is to say that all of them don't believe in god. I would suspsect that a good number just don't identify with any particular religion in general. However, given the same question it is indeed an ever increasing number which I view as a good sign. Fewer than 1% identified themselves in the same manner pre-1971. I do believe the world would generally be a better place if we could shed the shackles of religion and mysticism and I think it's inevitable that it will happen but it will be a few hundred years yet. I have faith ;o)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?