Tuesday, December 24, 2002

 
Merry Christmas

I've been asked how Atheists celebrate Chrismas like somehow I've suddenly changed and don't buy presents or make merry as it were. There are millions of people who celebrate Christmas in a more secular fashion where Jesus is not a part of it. Yes, I know the name Christmas is by name, a celebration of Christ but as I mentioned in this space awhile ago, Christmas stopped being about him the minute Coca-Cola came out with their Santa Ads in the early 20th century. It's an evolving holiday that is less religious we each passing year in my opinion.

I'm sure there isn't anyone who hasn't seen a Charlie Brown Christmas where he ponders the true meaning of Christmas and laments its commercial status. Now that was 35 years ago now and times haven't changed that much. I personally applaud the commerciality of Christmas and find nothing wrong with it. For those that lament it I don't see them visiting any less malls. I love the shopping and the gift giving and the cheeriness that is Christmas. And hey, without commercials there wouldn't have been any Charlie Brown Christmas special to begin with soooooo.

So Merry Christmas everyone. May your heart be glad and may you gain the strength of ten grinches plus two. And if Santa comes with a Coke in hand, drink it and be happy, but don't forget a shot of rye.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?