Monday, December 02, 2002

 
It's December
Some folks seem to find it ironic that I celebrate Christmas and I do so with zeal. The irony isn't lost on me of course but I'm confused a little. I mean I've watched the Charlie Brown Chistmas Special (hell, I own the CD sountrack) and Charlie Brown finds the true meaning of Christmas yada yada but c'mon. The true meaning of Christmas in our time has very little to do with Christ. I would say you could almost trace it to the day that Coca Cola created the images of Santa Claus we all know today. Ignore the rest of this if you know that already. Coca Cola created the image of Santa Claus we all know for an ad campaign in the 30's. Oh sure, it's more complicated than that to be sure, but has anything ever taken hold of our imaginations and indeed our culture in such a huge way? Entire companies are built on this myth of Santa that Coke helped to create. It's cool in a way if you stop and think about it. Well, go ahead.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?